Sunday 27 April 2008

Powerchain club member..

Yes, that's right. Well, a mini powerchain just to close up the little gap from when they pulled me teeth apart to turn my canines. But she has put some ligature across the whole of the bottom row and it has actually imprinted itself on the inside of my lip and HURTS LIKE HELL. I look as though a bee has flown in and stung the inside of my lip. Not unlike a white, female version of Bubba from Forrest Gump in fact.. And not even with the comedy accent...







Also need to have some brackets moved but ran out of time so back in a month. Got to see my new casts though, seeing them next to each other really allowed me to see how much they've moved already! And aligning them to roughly how they will look post-surgery almost seems worth it...

Britton really helpfully posted a link after my last post, http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25578

and I wanted to share one quote from it:


"It's odd, but I think the face I see in the mirror now is more like the image of myself I saw in day dreams than my original face was."


I think I may have come across as someone obsessed with the idea of beauty in my last post, but I wanted to share this with you as it really struck a note. It's not even like I'm going through all of this because I want to become 'beautiful', I know that this can only come from within - if that was the case there would be plenty of other things to 'fix'! However, it is almost that I need to reconcile how I look in my head with the actual image you see in front of the mirror. I know that doesn't really make much sense but I really feel that it will give me some inner peace when the person that looks back at me is the person I'm expecting to see. I feel as though despite being so happy within myself, there would always be a small part of my life on hold until that happens, which is what pushed me to finally take the plunge.


Otherwise, life is good. I have my first exams in about 2 weeks which I fear the ostrich tactics of burying one's head in the sand may not have been the most useful.. So I am off to do some hardcore study!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand about the person in the mirror being the one you're expecting to see -you. I've always had a thing about looking far more determined and harder than I feel inside. I can't wait to see how people relate to me when I don't have that hard jaw line!

ingrid said...

Hi there! I just had upper and lower jaw surgery 4 weeks ago. Thanks of that link in your entry! Good luck with everything and I hope to read more about your experiences here.

Shontelly said...

LOL I had to laugh as soon as I saw Bubba!

Katherine (Kate) said...

Mmmm-Mmmm and nothing highlights those imprints like eating a spicey curry to bring that OUCH!! alive! So, instead of rhyming off all the ways to eat shrimp, is your white 'Bubba' gonna list all the various dental hygene products you've gone through the last few months (perhaps ending in 'tracks'?) Listerine tracks, wax tracks, ultra floss tracks, ora-jel tracks....

Hon, your explanation makes TOTAL sense ~I like it. I can't see anyone thinking you're just looks obsessed. You just shared one piece of a pie that I would think we all feel on any given day - how can we NOT go there?!

Ha! I am a chronic procrastinator. Isn't it funny how knowing putting something dreadful off will bring on a panic, yet the same old pattern is destined to repeat itself? Happy Studies! (I hear wine helps) :)