Tuesday 24 March 2009

Hooks!

So this morning was my work-up - had countless impressions of my bite and full teeth taken, final measurements and x-rays, as well as the installation of the dreaded surgical hooks. I didn't realise I would have one in between my 2 front top and bottom incisors! Yeesh, they are SO annoying. Haven't started hurting yet, but have my trusty wax to hand for when they do.

Can't believe it is the last time I saw my ortho now until after the surgery! I am having my pre-operative assessment tomorrow and then the appointment palaver has been sorted for next Friday... And that's it! Two weeks away! I am still hoping they won't cancel due to bed shortages, although I am convinced this is going to be the case! Good vibes from everyone on the 7th/8th please!!! God knows what I'll do if it doesn't go ahead as scheduled!

It really feels like it's all finally happening, and I can't believe it. Have started to be excited again and not just apprehensive as I have been the last few weeks. Have been showing mum plenty of post-op photos so she knows what to expect.

Have also finally moved house, it was such a relief on Saturday night to have everything unpacked and one element of stress disappear completely. Now for the end of term assignment... So enough procrastination already, and will crack on! Then I can concentrate solely on pre-op nerves!

10 comments:

Aimee said...

Yay! Sending good vibes your way. Can't wait to hear how it all goes. It'll all be behind you in time. :)

Zonergem said...

I'm Class III, live in London and having surgery tomorrow as well. Something about the pattern of appointments and surgery schedules makes me think we have the same OD/OS team - are you being treated at the Eastman Dental Hospital? The final two weeks really, really fly by... see you on the other side.

Rita said...

Wow V, we are almost there. Glad you got into your new home. One less thing to worry about. My hooks are already waxed down. My inside bottom lip is feeling pretty blistered tonight. Guess I will use more wax. : )

Aimee said...

I just realized I have a cleaning appointment the day after I get my surgical hooks put on. Do you think that is realistic? I'm debating if I should cancel it. Thanks!

V said...

Good luck Zonergem - Nope I am being treated by Guy's, and having my surgery at King's (I'm a student at those hospitals, eek!). Guess it's just a UK pattern. Keep in touch with how you get on! Thinking of you!

Aimee, by a cleaning appointment, do you mean just a regular check-up type thing? They are not really that huge, but an extra bit to get food stuck under! So may be good to have a cleanse pre-surgery (seeing as will be difficult to keep clean after surgery)...

Aimee said...

Yeah a teeth cleaning with my hygienist. She does a great job, but she's expensive. I was just thinking if she can't do a good job with the hooks on I would just forget it. I'll see how I feel when I get them on. Thanks!

funkyrhodes said...

Wowee Zowee! I can't imagine what you're feeling right now knowing that the date is near! I can't wait to hear how things go for you and am hoping for all the best!

Zonergem said...

Thank for your support V. I'm done - had to wait till mid-afternoon after going in at 7.30 am for a list of four as they were clearing out beds. My surgery lasted just two hours for bimax (speedy surgery) but my bone was 'rock hard' and 'like concrete' according to the Consultant and the SHO. I was in recovery for two hours and the first night was pretty rough, so they kept me in for two nights. I wasn't banded and I'm still not as they'll do that next Thursay. I am swollen six ways from Sunday but feel SOOO much better already. You'll be absolutely fine.

Aimee said...

Hi V,
I have a question about surgical hooks. How do they put them on? Are they brackets with hooks on them? Do they have to take off brackets and put the hook brackets on? lol I have no idea. Thanks.

V said...

Hi Aimee! I have to say I was in the dark when it came to the mystical surgical hooks before I had them on!!

I'm not sure how your Ortho will do things, but I already had 4 brackets in place from Day 1 with the hooks coming off them! She then attached another 6 at the last appointment that just sit on the arch wire and she squeezed them closed using pliers so they can't move. I should really put up a pic for you, I'll try and do that if I get a chance. They're actually not too bad, I'm getting more rubbing from the ligatures that have been twisted closed together at the end of the row than anything else.