Sunday, 1 March 2009


I received a letter in the post on Thursday that beggars belief. Before I divulge its contents let me give you a quick idea of what appointments I have left pre-surgery:

March 23rd - Pre op 'work-up'; this is where they take the final measurements and casts so they can make the wafer - as mentioned before this is the plastic mould of my corrected bite they will use during the surgery to guide my jaws into the correct position

Tues 31st - Pre op check up, bloods etc to make sure I'm fit for surgery

April 3rd - The fitting of the wafer, to make sure it will fit over my teeth - though in fairness my ortho did say not everyone does this (although I can imagine it will give me piece of mind)

April 8th - Surgery

So this letter tells me that regrettably, my appointment on April 3rd has had to be moved. To May 1st. Almost a month AFTER my surgery.

I tried to suppress the wave of panic building up (I'm so much more anxious about everything these days - especially as I'm convinced my date is going to get cancelled and I have no idea how I am going to cope if that happens) and gave the number a call on Friday morning.

Of course, the woman that books appointments for the whole (large) department had no idea why it changed. So she put me through to the consultant's office. I spoke to a guy (I assume the secretary) who took down my hospital number and contact phone and told me he'd get back to me. I hadn't heard anything by the afternoon so called back. He hadn't even looked into it yet, and I told him that actually I think my ortho should be in this afternoon - he told me that was good to know and he would get her to call me. Didn't hear from anybody (and I know she would have called me if she'd got the message, so figured the weakest link there).

I'm just so annoyed as now have had to sit stewing about it over the weekend which is what I didn't want to happen. And ortho is not back in at the hospital until next Friday. And I'm so busy on Monday I can't keep chasing it up.

Don't people realise how stressful going through surgery is, without making it worse? If it's a simple re-schedule it could've been dealt with there and then.

I know I'm just being overly-anxious but I'm struggling to keep calm as it is. Fingers crossed it will all get sorted by someone with a little more competence.


Aimee said...

Aw, V. I feel your pain. I know how anxious you must feel about this. This is one of the things I dread happening - someone calling and canceling something and throwing everything off. I really hope everything works out and they get back to you soon. Keep us posted.

Rita said...

We are going to believe this is all going to work out. Things happen for a reason, even if we don't like it. I am really hoping for surgery in May, so I also understand your stress. Maybe the people will get their act together and work this out for you, and your surgery will still be on April 8th. Smile... it helps. : )

V said...

My ortho called me this eve - also had the PA call me back during the day to find out surgery date and he too realised how moronic the whole thing is. Feel much calmer now I have at least 2 people with brains on the case. And silly me, keep apologising for being hyper-anxious, I need to remember this kind of behaviour is totally normal!! Thanks for the support guys!